The Village Museum is one of the largest and oldest museum in Europe. In the museum you can see original monuments, such as houses, churches, water and windmills, of great historical and artistic value. The exhibits in houses such as braids, pots, carpets, icons and furniture express the creativity and spirit of the Romanian people.
Located in a green area, the museum brings together about 300 buildings (houses, annexes, workshops, churches). The current name of the museum “Dimitrie Gusti” is the result of long, theoretical and field research, as well as experiments, over a decade, coordinated by Professor Dimitrie Gusti, founder of the Sociological School in Bucharest. Having the status of head of the sociology department of the University of Bucharest, Dimitrie Gusti organizes between 1925-1935, together with specialists from different fields (such as geographers, sociologists, ethnographers, folklorists) mono-graphic research projects, with an interdisciplinary character, in a large number of villages such as: Dragomiresti, Maramures county, Moldova, Suceava county, Nereju, Vrancea county, Brasov county.
The Village Museum is one of the first ethnographic museums in the world and the second largest open air ethnographic museum in the world, after the one in Stockholm. It faithfully illustrates the life of the peasants, their spirit of inventiveness and artistic talent. The monuments, completely original, mirror the traditional Romanian life, constituting also the preservation of the built heritage; they illustrate the route taken from the first researches coordinated by Dimitrie Gusti to date.