Established in 1852, Casa Capșa [pronounced Capsha] is the symbol of the Romanian high-life society, the oldest pastry shop in the capital city of Romania and one of the best known old sights in the center of the city thanks to its location on the oldest street in Bucharest, Calea Victoriei 36.
The cake shop at the Casa Capșa serves traditional homemade sweets which were prepared after the original recipe, including baklava, bonbons and chocolates. The Capșa company has a very long practice in Bucharest and, for a long time between the 19th and 20th century, was the official supplier of sweets for the Romanian royal family and many noble families.
Casa Capșa was one of the finest cake shops in Europe. Most of the sweets at the time of its opening in 1852 were oriental: almond cakes dipped in syrup, cream cakes, baklava and sherbets. In the second half of the 19th century lemonade, cakes, bonbons and chocolates were introduced here, following famous recipes from Paris.
The founder, Grigore Capșa, is one of the 12 Macedonian-Romanian siblings. The Capșa family has been actively engaged as merchants and furriers in Bucharest for several generations. At age 14, Vasile Capșa become an apprentice to one of the most renowned pastry chefs, Constantin Lefteriu. Ten years later, in 1852, he had already purchased a pastry shop across from Zlătari Church. His older brother, Anton, who worked for the Treasury, decided to join the business, and they opened the pastry shop ” La doi frati” (“At the two brothers”). The cake shop moved into larger quarters along Podul Mogoșoaiei (the former name of Calea Victoriei). Vasile Capșa went to Vienna, Paris and Lipsca to collect pastry innovations. He also encouraged his brothers, Constantin and Grigore to join the business.
Grigore apprenticed in Paris for one year, where he managed to present his products to Empress Eugenia. Shortly thereafter, already competing with the most refined shops in Europe, the shop moved to the former Slătineanu House on Calea Victoriei, at the corner of Edgar Quinet Street, where it is still housed today. In 1873, the pastry shop was awarded a medal in Vienna and organized the first gala dinner at the Palace of Prince Carol I. From then on no ball, reception or musical evening went on without Capșa delicacies. Casa Capșa was awarded the gold medal at the Paris Universal Exposition in 1889 and 1900.
The hotel and restaurant were opened in 1881, and was the first time a hotel offered both accommodation and food. The model was later adopted along the Cote d’Azur and arround the world. At the conclusion of the former National Theater shows, the restaurant would fill up with customers, and the end of the War brought artists as well.
The hotel has retained its vintage charm even after being restored. It‘s a sumptuous location with sparkling chandeliers and baroque furnishings. It was considered for a long time the only suitable residence of the artists, rich and aristocratic families or high rank politiciens and diplomats visiting Romania. They preferred to live at the Capșa Hotel, because here they found the same elevated western, aristocratic ambiance.
Source ( http://www.capsa.ro/about/hystory/)