The Village Museum (Muzeul Satului in Romanian) is an open-air ethnographic museum located in the Herăstrău Park (Bucharest, Romania), showcasing traditional Romanian village life. The museum extends to over 100,000 m2, and contains 272 authentic peasant farms and houses from all over Romania.
It was created in 1936 by Dimitrie Gusti, Victor Ion Popa, and Henri H. Stahl.
There are other “village museums” throughout Romania, including ASTRA National Museum Complex in Sibiu, and those of Cluj-Napoca, Râmnicu-Vâlcea, Timișoara, a.s.o.
The National Museum “George Enescu” was opened in the Cantacuzino Palace, one of the most beautiful buildings in Bucharest, a historical monument and one of the European Heritage Label buildings.The sumptuous entrance, in Art Nouveau style, announces the luxury and the refinement of the époque, reunited in one of the most imposing palaces in Bucharest.
The permanent exhibition of the museum includes three rooms of the palace, displaying photographs, manuscripts, various documents, diplomas, medals, drawings, sculptures, musical instruments, costumes, furniture, decorative art, personal objects, a casting of the artist’s hands and his mortuary mask.
The originary atmosphere has been recreated in the intimacy of the austere memorial house, which is also opened for visitors.
The Transfagarasan Highway is Romania's most spectacular and best-known road, it starts in Bascov, Arges county near the city of Pitesti, in the direction of Curtea de Arges city and ends at the intersection with DN1 road between Sibiu and Brasov, near the Cartisoara village. Along this route of over 150 kilometers, the road presents a series of spectacular tunnels and coils, and the landscape that opens on both sides of the road is absolutely amazing. Therefore, Transfagarasan has been included in numerous tour guides and international tops of the most beautiful roads in the world and has been labeled from the "Road to the Sky", the "Road to the Clouds" to the "Best Driving Road in the World". Transfagarasan Highway connects Muntenia with Transylvania, crossing the Fagaras Mountains, the highest mountains in Romania, which are part of the Southern Carpathians. The Transfagarasan was built between 1970 and 1974 at the personal orders of Nicolae Ceausescu and had, in reality, a strategic purpose, preparing for a possible invasion by the USSR (Union of Soviet Socialist Republics), which fortunately, had never taken place. Following the invasion of Czechoslovakia by Soviet troops, in 1968, Romania was a target of the Red Army. Until its construction, the Fagaras Mountains could not be crossed, in that area, not even on horse. Hundreds of people, civilians and military have worked and died in the process of digging in the mountains and creating the existing road today. They worked continuously for 4 years, regardless of season and time of day or night. After the work was done, the paving of the road started, and the route today as we know it was completed only in 1980. In memory of those who gave their lives for the construction of Transfagarasan and those who participated in construction of the route were built two monuments: the Gate of the Genists and the Meeting Gate. The first part of the Transfagarasan passes through the Vidraru hydroelectric plant located underground in the Cetatea Valley massif, and from here, near the Poenari Fortress, the road climbs up to coils and viaducts, passing through 3 shorter tunnels and reaching the Vidraru Dam. When it was finished, measured at height, the dam ranked 8th in Europe and 20th in the world. Thousands of people drilled 42 km long underground galleries, excavated one million cubic meters of underground rock, poured nearly one million cubic meters of concrete, and human sacrifices cost over 80 lives.
The road continues to the right along Vidraru Lake and begins to climb the streams, passing on Capra Waterfall, up to the Capra tunnel, which is 887 m long. The Balea tunnel, the longest in Romania, with a height of 4.4 m, 6 m wide and a sidewalk with a width of 1 m, illuminated, but not ventilated, connects with the northern part of Transfagarasan.
After the Balea Tunnel, the Transfagarasan passes through the Alpine Gul and Balea Lake nature reserves, on the Balea glacier lake followed by a steep descent into serpentines, near the Balea waterfall.The road is open only between July 1st and October 31st, every year. The recommended speed to drive by car on Transfagarasan is 40 km per hour, this speed is imposed due to the numerous coils. In winter, the road is officially open on the southern slope up to the Piscul Negru complex, km 104 - Arges county, and on the northern slope to the Balea-Cascada chalet, km 131, Sibiu county. Very important to know is that during the winter many stone falls occur in the area of the Meeting Gate, right before entering the Balea Glacier. The gates of the Balea-Capra tunnel are closed in winter. During the summer, restrictions on the dark period are imposed (22:00 - 6:00).
The Basic Tour of Bucharest is a short introduction to the large and amazing history of our Romanian capital. The tour starts in Old Town, beginning with the oldest building in Bucharest, the 15th century Old Court. It is the heart of the city today, and the most important part in centuries past. Then we will take a walk on the most important street of the old city, Calea Victoriei (Victory Avenue) which holds history in every corner and holds some of our most important classic buildings. Walking down this street you’ll be able to see the National Museum of Romanian History, National Museum of Art, the Romanian Athenaeum (one of the most spectacular buildings in Bucharest!), and also Revolution Square, the place where Ceausescu held his last public speech before the 1989 Romanian Revolution. The tour starts every day at 10:30 AM and 6:00 PM near the Unirii Square clock. This tour is donation based if you enjoy the trip and there is a charge for groups larger than 3 persons. Please contact us for private groups and customized tours. Bucharest City Walking Tour Highlights: Old Town (The Old Princely Court) The Old Court is the first royal court in Bucharest and became inoperative after the 1718 fire and after the 1738 earthquake. The entire Royal Court consisted of a palace – the Voievodal Palace, a church (the “Good News” Church, later known as the Old Court Church), houses with reception halls, royal chancery, stables and gardens. More details Caru’ cu bere restaurant “Caru’ cu bere” is a symbolic restaurant for Bucharest, originally located on the Calea Victoriei, “Carul cu bere” was held by the Transylvanian Ion Căbășanu. The origin of the name is easy to guess: the beer was brought to the curb with horse drawn carts. The building in which the restaurant is located is a historical monument highly valued for the Gothic style. More details Stavropoleos Monastery & Church The Stavropoleos monastery includes, besides the church erected in 1724 by the Greek Ioanichie, the premises built at the beginning of the 20th century, by the architect Ion Mincu. Initially only a simple inn was built, the place soon became suitable for a holy place of prayer. Many of the well-known inns located in the center of Bucharest had churches or monasteries in the middle of the inner courtyard; in fact, few have appeared as annexes of churches and monasteries, erected by egumeans to increase their incomes. More details National Museum of Romanian History The museum appeared in 1970, as one of the first archaeological and historical museum in the country. The most famous treasures were brought here, first of all the precious metal ones, in the only public place where security and visibility could be ensured to the same extent. Also, a lot of other pieces of great archaeological and historical value have popped up in the exhibitions of the museum, to illustrate the history of that time. More details Revolution Square The Revolution Square in Bucharest is one of the places with the most complex history, a landmark of local and national culture and history. This is where the revolution of 1989 started. The statues around the square are elements of the story from the communist era in Bucharest. Around the square you will see: the former headquarters of the communist party, in the corner of the square you can see a fascinating building with an old facade and modern interior – former conspirative house and nowadays the headquarters of the Order of Architects in Romania. More details Romanian Athenaeum The Romanian Athenaeum is a concert hall in the center of Bucharest and a landmark of the Romanian capital city. This building was one of the reasons why Bucharest received the nickname of Little Paris. The Romanian Athenaeum was built between 1886 and 1888, designed to accommodate the specific activities carried out by the back then called the Romanian Philharmonic Society (an institution founded in 1868). More details National Museum of Art of Romania The National Museum of Art of Romania has three art galleries the Gallery of European Art, the Gallery of Old Romanian Art and the Gallery of Modern Romanian Art, with works presented in an attractive and modern way. The history that the building carries with it makes this visit a journey in time, because on the place where today is the Kretzulescu wing, build between 1812 and 1820, a house of impressive proportions for contemporaries. More details
One of the most imposing historical monuments of Romania is the Bran Castle, located about 30 kilometers from the city of Brasov, the first capital of the Romanian Country, where the Piatra Craiului Mountains meet with the Bucegi massif. Built on a rock, the Castle is now home to the Bran Museum, a museum divided in four floors. And although foreign tourists come to look for the legend of Count Dracula, Bran Castle's history fascinates them as well. The main reason why foreign tourists choose to visit Bran Castle is the legend that has been created around it. Thus, the most representative legend of Transylvania, that of Dracula or Vlad Tepes, is indisputably linked to Bran Castle. Currently, Bran Castle is the property of Princess Ileana's successor, Dominic of Habsburg.
The CEC as an institution was established in 1864 by a law initiated by Alexandru Ioan Cuza. At first it worked in various buildings, after which in 1875 the construction of its own headquarters began. On the site of the CEC today was the church of St. John the Great, which was demolished to make room for the first construction. CEC developed rapidly, so that the old headquarters becomes inadequate. It was decided to demolish it and at the same place began the construction of the current headquarters, according to the plans of the French architect Paul Gottereau. The beginning of the work was marked by a ceremony that took place on June 8, 1897. Participants included the royal family, members of the government, members of the CEC board of directors and the architect Paul Gottereau. The construction was completed in 1900 and since then the CEC has functioned in this building without any other notable changes. Currently, the palace still houses the headquarters of CEC Bank, the descendant of the old CEC (House of Savings and Consignments). The palace, built in an eclectic style, ends with a dome of glass and metal. The entrance is crowned by a pediment in the semicircle supported by a pair of composite columns. The four corner volumes, decorated with pediments and coats of arms, are covered by Renaissance-style domes. A much larger dome covers the central hall of the edifice, in which different counters of the institution operate. The judicious decoration of the facades, the balance of the volumes that compose it make this palace an interesting architectural monument of the city.
Charles de Gaulle Square is considered unique because it remained the last important square in the capital that preserved the paving with cubic stone, specific to the interwar period. After 1989, it was considered that the square needed a new name, so in the background of the traditional Romanian-French friendship, the Aviatorilor Square was renamed the Charles de Gaulle Square, former president of France and an important figure of the French Resistance during the Nazi occupation. Near Charles de Gaulle Square you can find Herăstrău Park and a few hundred metres to the west from the northwest of the square, is located Arcul de Triumf.
Victory Square is located at the intersection of several important areas in Bucharest. This square is a recommended tourist destination as it concentrates a reasonable density of attractions. The Victoria Palace is located there, which is currently the seat of the Government of Romania, and on another side of the market you can find the National Museum of Natural History Grigore Antipa. Nearby is the Museum of the Romanian Peasant, on Kiseleff Road, completing the series of tourist objectives that can be explored by those who take the Victoria Square tour. Heading north from Victory Square, and following either Kiseleff Road or Aviatorilor Boulevard, tourists can reach Herastrau Park. Of course, taking the subway is a much more direct solution, but the simple walking can be taken into consideration by visitors who want to have a wide and concrete experience of the city of Bucharest in the fullness of its tourist opportunities.
The Roman square is currently one of the most important commercial areas in the city of Bucharest. However, it represents a historical space, with a history of over 200 years. Most of the buildings on the Roman square are registered as heritage monuments. At the moment it is a very important area for cafes, restaurants and hotels. It is a beautiful area where the most diverse range of services in Bucharest are met.
The Old Center of Brasov is an irresistible attraction for tourists who visit or are passing through the beautiful city. Here you will find many tourist attractions, very close to each other, such as: Sfatului Square, old buildings dating from the 15th century, the History Museum, the Granary of Brasov, the Black Church. Different artistic, cultural and commercial events are organized periodically. Sfatului Square connects Muresanilor street, Republicii street and Hirsher street, representing with them the most important social, tourist and cultural attraction of Brasov city. With great importance during the Middle Ages, Sfatului Square in Brasov is still surrounded by the walls of the fortress that once existed, and surrounded by the imposing buildings that have an architecture with Germanic influences.
The tour is ideal for tourists who want to visit two of the most famous castles in Romania: Peleș Castle and Bran (Dracula's) Castle. Also, tourists will visit the old center of the Brașov city, one of the most beautiful in our country. The whole tour takes around 12h - door to door. Discounts are available for groups of more than 6 persons - please call us at +40726127654 Tour Highlights : The guided tour costs:
Sinaia Casino is an emblematic construction, built on the initiative of Carol I. It was completed in a record time, about 7 months, between 1912-1913, according to the official history. The inauguration of the casino took place in 1913 with a great show that George Enescu also arranged, that evening ending with a fireworks display. The casino in Sinaia operated between 1913 and 1947, interruptions occurring during the two world wars, when the building changed its destination - forced by exceptional circumstances - sheltering wounded and refugees. At the 20 tables in the great Hall of Mirrors, illuminated by crystal chandeliers, roulette games are held, and in the Baccara Hall are located the tables for card games. In addition to a terrace with a great view over the city and the Bucegi mountains, and a magnificent indoor garden, the Casino has 12 rooms that host corporate events and private events.
Pelisor Castle located in Sinaia, was opened to the public in February 1993. The museum, with an invaluable value, constitutes an important component of the cultural endowment of the Romanian people. This edifice is an integral part of the vast architectural ensemble created by King Carol I on the Peles valley, in a period that practically overlaps his entire life lived in Romania. Parallel with Peles Castle, the House of the Knights, the House of the Guard Corps, the House of the Architects, the Garden House were built near, and later, between 1899 - 1902, Pelisor Castle, as a gift offered by King Carol I to the heirs. The chief architect of Pelisor castle, Karel Liman, added “Fachwerk” elements, but also Romanian elements, which give the building a cheerful note: the two towers covered with colored sandstone tiles, like the church turrets from Bucovina. Regarding the interior architecture, Liman used, without a doubt at the request of Princess Maria, next to elements of "1900 Art", Romanian elements. Because, by the gradual understanding of the nature of the Romanian people, Maria understood the necessity of including the “national” function in the royal residence. Pelisor Castle reveals, through its interior decoration, the romantic, mysterious, daring personality, promoter of a new and unusual art of Queen Mary.
The Bucegi mountains are probably the most well-known mountains in Romania, among tourists who love hiking and winter sports. Positioned fairly close to Bucharest and the European highroad E60, it offers easy access. The mountain hike was the one that contributed most to the fame of the Bucegi Mountains, from the beginning of the 20th century. The few paths that existed at that time were the pastoral roads, and along them appeared the first shelter houses, later turned into huts, the Bucegi Mountains being in the 50s the most endowed mass from this point of view, from the whole Romanian Carpathian chain . It was added the layout of the slopes and the first cable transport facilities from Sinaia and Busteni, transforming the "Romanian hiking swing" into the busiest mountain tourism area, which attracts thousands of tourists, of all ages and social categories. The value and uniqueness of the natural elements determined the decision to protect the mountain area of the Bucegi by placing it among the protected areas, thus establishing the Bucegi Natural Park, that measures 32,663 ha.
Șchei Gate is located near the Catherine's Gate and was built between 1827 and 1828 with the role of fluidizing the increased traffic in this area. The construction is made out of stone and brick in a classic style, Șchei Gate is shaped like an arch with three entrances, a large main one in the middle and two shorter entrances to the left and right that are intended for pedestrians. The inscription in Latin marks the moment of the construction of the gate and the indication that this gate was erected following the visit of Emperor Francis I in Brașov in 1817.
Catherine's Gate in Brasov is one of the oldest, but certainly the most beautiful gate, which has retained its original appearance until today. It has been called the upper gate, the corpus Christi or the sanctae Katharinae, the last name is still used today. It is located right next to the Sichei Gate, and for several centuries it was the only gate that pierced the western walls of the fortress. The four-turreted square building, as a sign of jurisdiction, was provided with a movable bridge with chains to ensure the passage over the watercourse, and inside were wooden galleries located on several rows, for defenders. Between 1971-1973 the gate was restored to its current appearance. Above the entrance you can see the coat of arms of the city, and next to it is a part of the old city wall.
The Blacksmith's Bastion, with its pentagonal shape, located in the north-western corner of the city of Brasov, is built on three levels, provided with firing and bombing holes. The shape of today's bastion has undergone certain transformations over time. Initially, there was a tower that was destroyed in 1526 by the floods, after which it was restored. In the summer of 1667 other floods destroy the fortification of that place again, and only by 1668 the works at the current Blacksmith Bastion have being completed. Later, the purpose for which the bastion was used, was no longer the military one, but rather as a depot for the borders, and later as a dwelling place, and in the present day it houses the Archives of Brasov. The Archives have among their shelves, the oldest letter written in Romanian, dating from 1521, the epistle of the merchant Neacsu from Campulung.
The Graft Bastion was built between 1515 and 1521 to ensure the communication of the defenders of the White Tower with the fortress. For this purpose it had a movable gate. Of rectangular shape, based on a thickness of about 4 meters, the fortification is provided with shooting holes with wooden clasps and casting holes. Its position, located almost in the middle of the northwest side of the fortress, made the bastion acquire another importance. From him were protected the path that passes near the stream of the same name, as well as the outer walls of that part. For this, the bastion had firing holes and fuel tanks that have been preserved to this day. It was defended and maintained by the guild of the saddlers (the masters of saddles, harnesses, belts). Due to a torrential rain that occurred on August 24, 1809, the walls of the fortress weakened in the Graft area and a consolidation was needed. In 1822 three support arches were built over the stream, of which one still exists today. Renovated in 2004 - 2005, inside the bastion a museum point and a craft store were set up. Also, the route to the White Tower was redone, through a series of steep steps that go up the slope of the Warthe hill.
The Fortress was an important point of defense, located outside the city of Brasov. At the beginning of the fifteenth century, there was only a watchtower there, which was completed in 1524 with a wooden bastion with four towers. Destroyed in 1529 by the army of Petru Rares, in its place were erected, a quarter of a century later, stone walls and also carvings were dug. A fire in 1618 brought serious damage to it, so that in 1625 the fortress was almost completely restored. In 1627 an 81 m well was dug inside. In 1630, the citadel acquired the four bastions from the corners. From the eighteenth century until 1954 it also served as a prison, then a warehouse for the Brasov State Archives until 1975, so that from 1981, after a large restoration, it would become a tourist complex with a medieval specificity.
Sinaia Monastery is not to be missed if you visit Sinaia and is located only minutes away from the magnificent Peles Castle. The construction of the Monastery dates back to the seventeenth century, being founded by Bishop Michael Cantacuzino, after he had visited the holy places on the pilgrimage. The monastery proved to be home to the large number of monks living in the Bucegi Mountains, in addition to its role of guard and defense fortress. If we were to look at it from above, it really looks like a city! It was precisely because of the large number of monks who were to be housed here that the necessity of building additional rooms as well as a new church. The monastery is composed of the Old Church, the Paraclis, the Chilii (small enclosures), the Great Church, the Cilia and the Chancellery of the Monastery, the Bell Tower and the Monastery Museum (the new enclosures).
Peleş Castle is located in a fairytale-like location named Prahova Valley and is considered to be one of the most beautiful castles in Romania and also in Europe. The Castle is also one of the most important tourist attractions on the Prahova Valley, located in a spectacular mountain place, where tourists can enjoy clean mountain air. Peleş Castle was declared a museum in 1953 and it is the most visited museum in Romania, annually, about 300,000 tourists pass the threshold of the monument, curious to admire this special place in the Carpathian Mountains. In total, Peleş Castle has about 170 rooms and over 30 bathrooms, but only 35% of its area can be visited. Among the rooms that you must not miss if you arrive at Peles Castle include: the hall of honor, the reception hall, the mirror room, the large arms room, the concert hall, the imperial apartment, the Maura room, the Turkish salon or the theater room.
This tour will introduce you to one of the most beautiful towns in Romania-Sinaia. Chosen by the Romanian Royal Family to be their summer residence, Sinaia is a popular destination for hiking, trekking and winter sports, especially downhill skiing.Among the many tourists landmarks, some of the most spectacular are: The main attraction is the Peles Castle built between 1873 and 1914 by King Carol I. One of the most beautiful castles in Europe, Peles holds a breathtaking collection of arms and armor with over 4000 pieces on display. The guided tour costs:
Brașov is the largest city in a mountain resorts area. It is located in the central part of the country, about 166 km North of Bucharest. Brașov is surrounded by the Carpathians and is part of the Transylvania region. The old city is very well preserved. The guided tour costs:
The Black Church, one of the symbols of Brasov, is the parochial church of the Evangelical Church C.A. from Romania. The current name was given after the fire in 1689, that covered the entire city and turned the church into a ruin. Initially the church was named the Feast of Saint Mary. After the Reformation it was known as the "Great Church", but the popular name after the fire, the "Black Church", was officially accepted in the 19th century. The Black Church is the largest sacral construction in Romania, the largest church-hall east of Vienna and one of the largest medieval places of worship from St. Stephen's dome in Vienna to the Hagia Sophia in Constantinople. Except for Turkey, the Black Church has the largest collection of oriental carpets in Europe, dating from the 15th-16th centuries. In the tower of the Black Church is the largest mobile bell in Romania, with a weight of approx. 6,000 kg. Inside, the visitor can discover countless objects of art: the critselniţa (1472), the mural painting of St. Mary (1476), the neogothic altar (1866) along with many other pieces made of gold and funeral stones of the personalities of Brasov. At the back of the church are two permanent open exhibitions, which tell the history of the Black Church and the life of the reformer Johannes Honterus. Until recently the treasury of the dwelling was largely overlooked, until, in 2002, the specialists discovered its value. Including clothing from the Middle Ages, it is by no means inferior to the large collections in Danzig, Halberstadt, Brandenburg and Stralsund, but is not currently available to the public. In the coming years, however, the treasury will be restored by specialists.
A new concept in Romania, Tiriac Collection represents the exhibition of cars and motorcycles of Mr. Ion Tiriac. Reopened to the public in May 2015, the collection includes over 150 historical vehicles manufactured since 1899, but also performant cars, with a current design. Visitors will find the only collection in the world with the 6 Rolls Royce Phantom produced until 1972, as well as exhibits that previously belonged to great names such as Sir Elton John, Sammy Davis Jr. or Bernie Ecclestone.