The Monastery was built in 1715 by the metropolitan bishop Antim Ivireanu. Initially, the monastery was shaped like a fortress, with the church in the center (because Antim originally intended the monastery to be a refuge for fallen women and refugees, as well as a seat of learning). The artistic realization of the monastery represents an eloquent testimony of Bucharest’s cultural life from the beginning of the 18th century. The monastery church is particularly known for its icons featuring scenes from the Nativity and Revelations, painted in 1812 by Petre Alexandrescu. The sculptures on the wooden double doors of the church were executed by Patriarch Antim himself.