From: Bucharest, Casa Capșa Hotel
Adress: Calea Victoriei 36, București 030167
“Casa Capsa” is located in the center of old Bucharest at the intersection of Calea Victoriei and Edgar Quinet streets.
Casa Capsa was also known to Romanians as the “coffee shop for writers and artists”, circulating the idea that a writer was not a writer if he did not frequent Capșa. Tudor Arghezi (famous Romanian writer) said about Capsa that “is the only intellectual premises on the Calea Victoriei area”.
It is a hotel, confectionery, cafe and restaurant, it was the largest restaurant and confectionery company in the country, well-known in all the centers of Europe, in the cultural history of the city, the cafe being a place of the bohemian Bucharest.
Over time, Casa Capșa has been attended by almost all the personalities of the time, but also by guests from abroad: the Duke Nicolae of Serbia with the suite, the former sovereigns of Serbia Milan and Natalia Obrenovici, Raymond Poincaré, the former President of the French Republic, the Prime Minister Greek Eleftherios Venizelos, diplomats, actors, writers, statesmen. At the festive tables given in honor of some personalities, it was established the custom to launch a new specialty of the house (confectionery or pastry), which has remained until today. In 1948, Casa Capșa received the name “Confectionery and Restaurant Bucharest”, and the hotel closed. In 1975 the building was restored and the hotel, the restaurant and the confectionery were reopened, the cafe becoming a meeting place for writers and academics. After 1990 it became private property again, the old name was restored and it underwent a new restoration.