Lipscani Street was the place where valued products brought from Leipzig, Germany, were being sold in Bucharest. Lipscani is the Romanian equivalent of Leipzig. Initially, it was a narrow lane that connected the commercial center of Bucharest to Podul Mogosoaiei (the street which is known today as Calea Victoriei).
The street became a very important avenue during the rule of the Wallachian Prince Constantin Brancoveanu (1688 – 1714). Throughtout the Middle Ages, many inns for the travelling merchants were constructed. For example: the Serban Voda Inn (today, on the same spot stands the National Bank of Romania), Hanul cu Tei (which today is a collection of art shops) and Hanul Gabroveni (today it is the place of ARCUB, the Cultural Center of Bucharest).
There are no reviews yet.