The National Museum of Art of Romania has three art galleries the Gallery of European Art, the Gallery of Old Romanian Art and the Gallery of Modern Romanian Art, with works presented in an attractive and modern way. The history that the building carries with it makes this visit a journey in time, because on the place where today is the Kretzulescu wing, build between 1812 and 1820, a house of impressive proportions for contemporaries.
The European Art Gallery, housed in the Kretzulescu wing, reflects, through the 300 exhibited works, the main artistic schools of Europe between the 14th and 19th centuries. Starting with the late Gothic and Renaissance, continuing with Mannerism and Caravagism, up to the Baroque and Rococo, painting of the masters Domenico Veneziano, Jacopo Bassano, Bronzino, Jacopo Tintoretto, Luca Giordano, Orazio Gentileschi, Jacopo Amigoni. The Old Romanian Art Gallery offers through the 900 exhibited pieces, a unitary image on the cultural life of the historical provinces: Tara Romaneasca, Moldova and Transylvania from the 14th to the 18th centuries. These include fragments of frescoes (those from Curtea de Argeş – 1526) and icons (Saints Simeon and Sava, 1522 – 1523, both from the Curtea de Argeş monastery), embroidery (Epitaphs from Cozia Monastery, 1395 -1396 and from Neamt Monastery, 1437; Epitaphs from the Tismana Monastery, beginning of the 16th century), miniature manuscripts, wood and stone sculpture (the royal doors from the church in Cârligul (Bacău), early 16th century. The gallery also dedicated three rooms for the exhibition of secular and cult pieces of metals and precious stones, jewelry and costume accessories from the XIV – XIX centuries. The Gallery of Modern Romanian Art reconstructs through the 700 paintings and sculptures the route of Romanian art from the beginning of the 19th century. Centuries of art, marked by numerous trends and artistic tendencies, are represented by famous names, reference for the whole Romanian culture, as well as by lesser-known valuable artists included for the first time in the permanent exhibition of the National Gallery.