The Blacksmith’s Bastion, with its pentagonal shape, located in the north-western corner of the city of Brasov, is built on three levels, provided with firing and bombing holes.
The shape of today’s bastion has undergone certain transformations over time. Initially, there was a tower that was destroyed in 1526 by the floods, after which it was restored. In the summer of 1667 other floods destroy the fortification of that place again, and only by 1668 the works at the current Blacksmith Bastion have being completed. Later, the purpose for which the bastion was used, was no longer the military one, but rather as a depot for the borders, and later as a dwelling place, and in the present day it houses the Archives of Brasov. The Archives have among their shelves, the oldest letter written in Romanian, dating from 1521, the epistle of the merchant Neacsu from Campulung.