Casa Presei Liberei (House of the Free Press), initially known as Casa Scânteii, is a building located in the north of the capital city. It held the record for the highest structure in the city between 1956 and 2007. The building was initially designed as the Casa Scânteii Complex, being built in five years, between 1952 and 1957. Between 1949 and 1954, the project manager was the engineer Panaite Mazilu. The construction was intended for the publication of the state press and especially of the Scînteia newspaper, the “authority” of the Central Committee of the Romanian Labor Party. The antenna on this building has been supporting for a while, starting in 1956, the transmitter of the Romanian Television. Here they carried out their activity and the other national daily newspapers during communism: free Romania, the Youth Scintillation, but also the weekly Flacăra or the communist news agency Agerpres, as well as a multitude of other smaller publication agencies.
Like the other mega-structures erected during the communist regime, the building is astonishing in its dimensions, the horizontal coordinate of the edifice far exceeding its vertical line, so that the aesthetic impact can hardly be overlooked.
Currently, Casa Presei Liberei hosts the headquarters of numerous newsrooms and typographies, or even televisions.