The University Square is the most popular meeting point in Bucharest, a place full of history and significance, a space that gives the capital its identity.
The University Square was established in 1857 as part of the creation of the University of Bucharest. The character of this square has been defined by four statues, made over six decades: Prince Michael the Brave (1876, sculptor Albert-Ernest Carrier-Belleuse) and scholars Ion Heliade-Rădulescu (1882, Ettore Ferrari), Gheorghe Lazăr (1886, Ion Georgescu) and Spiru Haret (1935, Ion Jalea).
The most important statue is the one representing the Prince Michael the Brave. This is because it is the oldest equestrian statue in Romania. It was the creation of a celebrated French sculptor, Albert-Ernest Carrier-Belleuse, and it was brought over from Paris to Bucharest. On the base made out of marble are crests of the three medieval principalities that Michael the Brave ruled over in 1600 after several military achievements: the eagle from the Wallachian Principality, the aurochs from the Moldavian Principality and the seven towers representing the Transylvanian Principality.
Besides this, in 1679 the Princely School was built here. This was to become in the 18th century the Princely Academy – the highest educational institution at that time in Wallachia. In the year 1818, the institution became known as St. Sava National School, then in 1857 the University of Bucharest. The University was built in several stages, following neoclassical aesthetic principles. The facade existing today was constructed between 1921–1943.
Since 1989 and until now, in the University Square has changed its appearance. The statues area has been redeveloped and the National Theater has been renovated. The dramatic events that took place there give the University Square a great significance, thus becoming a true symbol.
There are no reviews yet.